Manuel Menendez Born in Asturias, Spain

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

monkeymoni2

Manuel Menendez Born in Asturias, Spain

Post by monkeymoni2 »

My Great Grandfather Manuel Menendez was born in Asturias, Spain and married to Maria Berjaga Jimenez and they had 8 children named..

Jose"Pepin" (died)married Elbia Fuentes and they had 3 children(Lourdes, Jose Manuel,and Jesus Manuel), Aldo (died)he married twice to Ladys Arevalo had 2 children(Ana Maria,and Ladis) and Leyla"Lulu"had to 2 children(Aldo"Pepe", and Leyla), Jesus"Linguero" he married Angela Gaskin and had 1 child(Jesus), Manuela"Cuquin" (died)she married Andres Guevara and had one child(Carlos)
,Caridad"Muneca" married Antonio Jarquin and no children
,Manuel"Manolo" (died)married twice to Lala Paneque and had 1 child(Rosa Maria) and Graciela Menie and had 2 children(Graciela Maria and Manuel Jose),Lino"Rigo" (died)married Nidia Infante and had 1 child(Alina),and Emila Menendez married Antonio Jimenez and had 2 children(Rosa Maria, and Tania) all of the children of Manuel Menendez were all born in Bayamo Oriente,Cuba and some of the cousins and nephews/neices were born in Havana, Cuba.

Manual Menendez had 5 brothers Alejo, Jesus, Donato, Emilo, and Leopoldo Menendez. Some cousins of Manuel Menendez are Maria Theresa, Mecore, and Maria Pura Menendez.
Some Nephews and Nieces of Manuel Menendez are Jose Antonio, Jubecio, Mario, Ruben, and Norma Menendez. Manuel Menendez died in Bayamo Oriente, Cuba.

If you have any questions, info or if you are or think you might be a relative please email me at ..
Thank you very much..
Monika Knittel :wink:
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Welcome to the forum, Monica!

Do you know what town(s) Manuel Menendez and Maria Berjaga Jimenez were born in and what their birth years and migration to Cuba years were?

Which members of the family move to the US? Do you know where they moved to and in what year they migrated to the US?

Thanks for sharing your family's story.
Suronda
Co-Founder

Menendez Connection in Spelter, West Virginia

Post by Suronda »

Hello Monica,

I was speaking with my father, and he said that the names Leopoldo "Poldo," Maria "Pura" and Jesus Menendez were familar to him from West Virginia. Did some of your relatives settled there? My father thought that one of his neighbors might be related to you - perhaps his neighbor is the nephew of "Poldo" and Jesus. Do you know someone names Maria Mecha or "Mecha?" My father believes that she, "Mecha," was married to one of the five brothers you mentioned.

If you'd like further information about the possible West Virginia connection, please send me a private message. You can find my contact information in the membership list.

S.
Cathy Langhoff

Post by Cathy Langhoff »

Suronda,

I know this is an old message but I just got this from my mom. She last saw her family when she was 7 or 8 so her memory isn't all that good but she does come up with things when you get her started! My grandfather was John Menendez, his Spanish name was Sabino. His siblings were: Joe (Pepes), Leo, Ramon, Manuel (Pring who changed his name to Joe Blair), Mary, Carmen, Concha (Co), and Pat (Angel or Angelo). There may have been more.

Mother's uncle was Joe 'Pepes' Menendez. His wife was called Mary Mecha. She was Mary/Maria Gutierez.

That's all I have today.

Cathy
Ron Gonzalez

Manual Menendez Born in Asturias, Spain

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Cathy
Leo... was he the one that had a bad leg? Angelo (Chee)... I knew him well. I do remember Mecha, as well as Ida, and Louis. I think I have the right family. I remember the name Sabino, but not the man. There was a Pep Menendez; also his wife was Florence and she is still with us. They have one son, Raymond. Louis lives about a block from me, I see him all the time. He has two sons. Ida passed a way some years ago. Time go so fast and you lose track. One of Mecha's sons lived next door to us when I was a kid. I can't think of his name, but everyone called him Monk. His wife name was Olga. They had one son, two daughters, but all have passed on. Hope this will help your mom remember other things.
Ron Gonzalez

Manuel Menendez Born in Asturias , Spain

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Cathy
Leo was not the one with the bad leg. That was Lonnie. Leo's Spanish name was Stemmie. If you think about it, somethings do come back to you.
Suronda
Co-Founder

Post by Suronda »

Glad you replied to this one Dad (Ronnie) since I wouldn't have been able to make the connections to these folks that I know. Everyone has a nickname, and I can never connect them to their "real" names. Glad you were able to help Cathy!
Ron Gonzalez

Manuel Menendez Born In Asturias , Spain

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Cathy
I do remember: "Jesse" was Monk's name. They lived next door to us for many years.
Cathy Langhoff

Ron,

Post by Cathy Langhoff »

Ron, thanks for your reply.

My grandfather's dad was also Sabino. He was living with John, Edna & Joan when he died. There is a photo of him and my mother in the album. I will post a photo I have of my grandfather, John, & his brother, Pat Menendez. Fortunately it was scanned beofre Katrina. Most everything else is gone.

John & Pat married sisters, Edna & Elizabeth (Bess, Betty) Voelp. John (d. 1965) & Edna (d. 1989) had my mother Joan; Pat & Bess had Raymond. Raymond died of lung cancer in Topeka KS on Sept 11, 2001. He had a boy and a girl. Mother is living. She had one girl and three boys.

Manuel (Pring) Menendez married a woman named Beatrice. They lived in Baltimore. They had a gruesome end. They were left for dead in their home by a drifter they had offered work to. Beatrice died & Pring only lived a short time after this. They had no children.

Their sister Mary Menendez married Leo Casentino. They had two sons: Mario and Leo. Mario married 'Palo'. He died last year.

Their brother Joe 'Pepes' Menendez married Mary 'Mecha' Gutierez. He died in 1934. All I know here is that they had 10 children.

That's all I have for now. I hope I can fill in the other descendants someday!

Cathy

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”