Born Donora PA, ancestors:S Martín de Laspra,Piedras Blanca

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

carol k
asturias_and_me:

Born Donora PA, ancestors:S Martín de Laspra,Piedras Blanca

Post by carol k »

This is, my first post here. I have read, with excitement, all the accumulated information and hope I can add some useful information. I am Carol Kowall born in Donora Pa and now living in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. My mother is Louise Fernandez and my Grandfather is Constantine Fernandez born in Pierdas Blancas, son of Dona Ramona Garcia Fernandez. Ramona's parents were Francisco Garcia and Rosa Fernandez. Jose Fernandez Galan was the son of Arturo Fernandez and Josepha Galan. Jose was Constintine's father

In Donora the names of Garcia and Fernandez are common but I have not heard of the name Galan. Does anyone know of this name? Could it indicate this ancester was not from the same area?

I have several references in documents to "San Martin de Laspra." Is this a town or a church in Aviles?

I am also confused about Piedras Blancas. Is this a separate village or does it designate an area within the town of Aviles?

Growing up in Donora I attended the Spanish Festivals in my childhood and I was familier with some of the historical information also in the forum about why individuals of my great-randparents generation came to the USA. In my Grandfather's generation, the three oldest sons came
with my greatgrandfather to the USA in 1908. My great-grandmother came a few years later and they had four more children born in the USA. We know they lived in Cherryvale Kansas and other locations before settling in Donora. We recall relatives or friends in Langloth PA and St. Louis and in California.

I would like to research more about my ancesters and trace relatives. We have been told that my great-grandfather had brother who went to Cuba and my mother remembers a cousin visiting from Cuba when she was young but she cannot recall names. Any relatives from Cuba out there?

I have many photos that refer to my great-grandmother as Aunt, which I understand might indicate a relative or just be a statement of respect. I imagine that those families that traveled around to the mines and zinc mills together might have become so close as to feel like family.

We cannot identify many of the photos and as I get them scanned, I will post them.

I also have an old article about the Donora Spanish picnics to scan and post.

I visited Spain twice and traveled through Asturias on the last trip. I have some interesting stories and recipes and other information which I will post.

I would like to hear from Donora families who remember my relatives and try to put together more history.

Carol Kowall

---------------------
Traducido por Leto

Este es mi primer mensaje aquí. He leído, emocionada, toda la información acumulada y espero poder añadir algún dato útil. Soy Carol Kowal, nacida en Donora PA, y actualmente vivo en Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Mi madre es Louise Fernández y mi abuelo es Constantino Fernández, nacido en Piedras Blancas, hijo de Dona [Leto: Doña?] Ramona García Fernández. Los padres de Ramona eran Francisco García y Rosa Fernández. Jos Fernández Galán era hijo de Arturo Fernández y Josefa Galán. Jose era el padre de Constantino.

En Donora, los nombres de García y Fernández son muy comunes pero no he oído el nombre de Galán. ¿Alguien sabe algo de este nombre? ¿Podría indicar que este antepasado era del mismo lugar?

Tengo algunos documentos que hacen referencia a “San Martín de Laspra”. ¿Es una ciudad o una parroquia en Avilés?

También estoy algo confundida sobre Piedras Blancas. ¿Se trata de un pueblo diferente o pertenece al área de la ciudad de Avilés?

Habiendo crecido en Donora, asistí a los festivales españoles durante mi infancia y estoy familiarizada con algunos datos históricos sobre el por qué la gente de la generación de mis bisabuelos vino a USA. En la generación de mi abuelo, los tres hijos mayores vinieron con mi bisabuelo a USA en 1908. Mi bisabuela vino unos años más tarde y tuvieron otros 4 niños nacidos en USA. Sabemos que vivieron en Cherryvale Kansas y en otros lugares antes de asentarse en Donora. Nosotros recordamos familiares o amigos en Langloth PA y St. Louis y en California.

Me gustaría indagar más sobre mis antepasados y encontrar la pista de familiares. Nos han dicho que mi bisabuelo tenía un hermano que fue a Cuba y mi madre recuerda a un primo que vino de visita desde Cuba cuando ella era joven, pero no recuerda nombres. ¿Hay algún pariente de Cuba por ahí?

Tengo bastantes fotos que se refieren a mi bisabuela como Tía, por lo que entiendo que se trata de un familiar, o simplemente es una muestra de respeto. Imagino que esas familias que viajaron a las minas y las fábricas de zinc juntos tuvieron tanto contacto que llegaron a sentir como si fueran familia.

No podemos identificar muchas de las fotos; según vaya escaneándolas, las enviaré.

También tengo un viejo artículo sobre Los Picnics Españoles de Donora para escanearlo y enviarlo.

He visitado España dos veces y viajado a Asturias en el último viaje. Tengo algunas historias interesantes y recetas y otros datos que enviaré.

Me gustaría oír acerca de las familias de Donora que recuerden a mis parientes e intentar recopilar algo más de historia.
Art
Site Admin
asturias_and_me:

Post by Art »

Welcome, Carol!

Your family appears to have been from Castrillon, which is a consejo (an administrative district much like our "county") near Avilés. Piedras Blancas is what we would call the county seat of Castrillon. Piedras Blancas is fairly large now, but I'm pretty sure that this growth is relatively recent.

Castrillon is next to and nortwest of the consejo of Avilés. Avilés is the name of both a city and the county (consejo) that the city is in. Avilés is the nearest large city to Castrillon.

San Martín de Laspra is in Castrillon on a hill about a mile toward the sea from Piedras Blancas. It has an old church with a very interesting Romanesque (or Pre-Romanesque?) window, if I remember correctly. Back when your ancestors came to the US, it would have probably been common for someone to living in one of these places to have friends or famly in the other.

There are a number of members of the forum with roots in Castrillon (Salinas, Piedras Blancas, S. Martín de Laspra, Arnao, Naveces, etc.). Many of them were associated with the zinc company, Real Compañia Asturiana de Minas at Arnao. There are a number of messages about that in the forum (search on Arnao), like this one:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=88

Yes, Galán is a name found in Asturias. If you search on Galan and Galán in the forum, you'll find other messages about that name, too, like this one:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=876

Let me know when you have photos and scans ready. You'll have to email them to me. The email address is at the bottom of this page.

(¡Lo traduciré luego!)

---------------------
Traducido por Leto

Bienvenida Carol!

Parece que tu familia era de Castrillón, que es un Concejo (un distrito administrativo como nuestro “county”) cerca de Avilés. Piedras Blancas es lo que nosotros llamaríamos el centro de Castrillón. Piedras Blancas es bastante grande ahora, pero estoy seguro de que este crecimiento es relativamente reciente.

Castrillón está pegado al noroeste del Concejo de Avilés. Avilés es el nombre de ambos, la ciudad y el concejo en el que está la ciudad. Avilés es la ciudad grande más cercana a Castrillón.

San Martín de Laspra está en Castrillón, en un monte, a una milla de Piedras Blancas en dirección al mar. Tiene una antigua iglesia con una ventana románica (¿o es prerrománica?), si mal no recuerdo. Tiempo atrás, cuando tus antepasados vinieron a US, hubiera sido muy común para cualquiera vivir en uno de estos lugares y tener amigos o familia en el otro.

Hay algunos miembros en el foro con raíces en Castrillón (Salinas, Piedras Blancas, S. Martín de Laspra, Arnao, Naveces, etc.). Muchos de ellos están relacionados con la compañía de zinc, la Real Compañía Asturiana de Minas, en Arnao. Hay algunos mensajes sobre esto en el foro (busca por Arnao), como este:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=88

Sí, Galán es un nombre que se encuentra en Asturias. Si buscas por Galan y Galán en el foro encontrarás mensajes sobre el nombre también, como este:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=876

Avísame cuando tengas las fotos listas. Tendrás que enviármelas a mí. La dirección de email está al final de esta página.
Last edited by Art on Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
asturias_and_me:

Post by Bob »

My grandmother was from near Piedras Blancas. Her first surname was Fernández, although if you go back to the early 1800's that Fernández family was originally from Gozón.

San Martín de Laspra, as Art pointed out, sits atop a cliff near the ocean. You can see Piedras Blancas from the church and, if you walk to the top of the cliff, you will have a fine view of Salinas to the east. The church does indeed have a preserved ventana prerromanica from an earlier edifice, and a fine octagonal bell tower. All three alatars are worth seeing if you are in the area again.

You should write to the registro civil in Piedras Blancas for copies of your ancestors birth certificates. The registry began about 1871, so for early birth dates you will have to turn to church records. The church is Piedras Blancas and the one in Salinas are both relatively new. I think San Martín was originally the church for both towns.

---------------------
Traducido por Leto

Mi abuela era de cerca de Piedras Blancas. Su primer apellido era Fernández, pero si miras atrás a principios de 1800, esa familia Fernández era originaria de Gozón.

San Martín de Laspra, tal y como Art señaló, se asienta en la cumbre de un pico cerca del océano. Se puede ver Piedras Blancas desde la iglesia y, si caminas hacia lo más alto, tienes una buena vista de Salinas al este. La iglesia tiene, en efecto, una ventana prerrománica conservada de un edificio anterior, y un bonito campanario octagonal. Los tres altares son dignos de verse si vas a ir de nuevo al lugar.

Deberías escribir al registro civil de Piedras Blancas para obtener copias de los certificados de nacimiento de tus antepasados. El registro comenzó en 1871, por lo que para fechas de nacimiento anteriores, tendrás que ir a los registros de la iglesia. Las iglesias de Piedras Blancas y Salinas son ambas relativamente nuevas. Creo que San Martín era originariamente la iglesia para ambas ciudades.
carol k
asturias_and_me:

San Martin de Laspra

Post by carol k »

Art and Bob,
Thank you both for the information. When I was last in Spain I asked these questions but something was lost in the translation and I did not understand the distinction between the city and county. This helps to understand the documents I have.

I did visit the old church on the hill - San Martin de Laspra. You can see it in the distance from my greatgrandfather's house. I was told about the ancient Romanesque window and I have a photo I took. This visit is one of the things I have wanted to write about.

The family that bought my greatgrandparnets home welcomed us as if we were relatives. They showed us many sites and the church was the best. I was moved to tears when I saw the ancient baptismal font where my grandfather and and greatgrandfather and others before them were baptized. The altars are amazing.

We received a special treat and we were given a tour of the bell tower. I believe they said the bell tower may be 800 years old. We climbed old wooden stairs to the top where the bell hung. The floor was encrusted with years of bird dung and feathers. Our hosts apologized for the dust and smells but to me this was as sacred and as beautiful as any place I have ever been. I touched the bell that rang at weddings and deaths and so many services and events in the lives of my ancesters. I was too overcome to take all the pictures I would liked but the experience of visiting that church is etched in my memory. I close my eyes and can see the view from the slender window in the tower. I can recall the feel of the stone baptismal font honed by weather but also by the touch of so many hands.

I cannot explain to myself why this is so meaningful to me. The church is just a building. I have visited so many old churches i our travels. My ancestors were simple people. I am curious about all history so reseaching family history is naturally interesting. Still, I was not prepared for the impact of that visit. Do we need the connections with a concrete past to affirm our own existance? Or is it just that these experiences took me back to childhood when I was loved and protected by this grandfather and these greatgrandparents? Whatever the reason, the feelings of being home, of belonging there and a feeling of peace were very intense. I returned from that trip a different person. My Spanish heritage and San Martin de Laspra are with me every day now.

Carol

---------------------
Traducido por Leto

Art y Bob,

Gracias a ambos por la información. Cuando estuve en España, pregunté por estas cosas pero algo se perdió en la traducción y no entendía la diferencia entre ciudad y concejo. Esto ayuda a comprender los documentos que tengo.

Sí que visité la antigua iglesia de la montaña - San Martín de Laspra. Se puede ver en la distancia desde la casa de mi bisabuelo. Me contaron acerca de la antigua ventana románica y tengo una foto que tomé. Esta visita es una de las cosas sobre las que quería escribir.

La familia que compró la casa de mis bisabuelos, nos dio la bienvenida como si fuéramos parientes. Nos enseñaron muchos sitios y la iglesia fue el mejor. Me eché a llorar cuando vi la antigua pila bautismal donde mi abuelo y mi bisabuelo y otros antes que ellos fueron bautizados. El altar es precioso.

Recibimos un trato especial y nos invitaron a una visita al campanario. Creo que dijeron que tenía más de 800 años. Subimos las viejas escaleras de madera, hasta arriba donde cuelga la campana. El suelo estaba cubierto de años de cagadas de pájaro y plumas. Nuestros anfitriones se disculparon por el polvo y el olor, pero para mí era tan sagrado y tan bonito como cualquier otro sitio en el que haya estado nunca. Toqué la campana que tanto sonó en las bodas y los entierros y en tantos servicios y eventos en la vida de mis antepasados. Estaba tan desbordada que no saqué todas las fotos que me hubiera gustado, pero la experiencia de visitar esa iglesia está grabada en mi memoria. Cierro los ojos y puedo ver la vista desde la pequeña ventana de la torre. Puedo recordar el tacto de la piedra de la fuente bautismal desgastada por el tiempo y también por el toque de tantas manos.

No puedo explicarme a mí misma por qué esto tiene tanta importancia para mí. La iglesia es sólo un edificio. He visitado tantas iglesias antiguas en mis viajes. Mis antepasados eran gente simple. Siento curiosidad por la historia en general, así que es natural que sienta interés por investigar acerca de mi familia. Aún así, no estaba preparada para el impacto que me causó la visita. ¿Necesitamos sentirnos unidos a un pasado concreto para afirmar nuestra propia existencia?, ¿o es simplemente que estas experiencias me llevaron de vuelta a mi infancia, cuando era amada y protegida por mi abuelo y estos bisabuelos? Sea cual sea la razón, los sentimientos de ser amado, de pertenecer al lugar y de paz fueron muy intensos. Volví de ese viaje como una persona diferente. Mi herencia española y San Martín de Laspra son ahora mi día a día.
Art
Site Admin
asturias_and_me:

Post by Art »

I talked with a therapist about that sense of being home in the land of our grandparents. He said he felt the same thing about visiting his ancestral home (Ireland) even though his family had immigrated many generations before.

Part of me thinks that this sense of homecoming is a result of very subtle family and cultural patterns that we probably aren't aware of, but that we recognize in the place where our ancestors grew up.

Maybe, but I think there may be another reason. There are subtle memories passed by families from one generation to the next. But it's not necessarily in the actual stories they told us. Perhaps it's in the way they lived and felt and the way they taught us to live and feel.

When our ancestors left Asturias, they left part of themselves behind, an emptiness they could never fill no matter how good life was in the new home. They left family members, friends, a distinct culture, and a specific landscape. They worked hard in the new land, stayed busy, and built new lives. But all that activity only masks the emptiness, an emptiness that was passed on to us, their children and grandchildren.

My grandfather would have told us that he didn't leave anything important back in Asturias. Don't believe that for one second.

Later when we return to our grandparents' homeland (a place most of us have never known), we feel like we've returned home. In some measure, our being there fills the void or at least promises to fill the void. But I suspect that this void is inherently unfillable. Perhaps we are a people who will carry that void with us throughout our lives. And we'll certainly pass it on to our children and grandchildren.

It's not just the emigrants who experience this void. Those left behind have also lost something precious and irreplaceable. It's no wonder that the people of Gijón continue to formally commemorate and lament the exodus of their children. And it's no wonder that so many Asturians participate in this forum. We share a common loss.

I've given this a lot of thought these past few years. Can you tell?!

--------------------------

Hablé con un terapeuta de aquella sensación de ser en casa en la tierrina de nuestros abuelos. Él dijo que él sintió la misma cosa cuando visitó a su casa solariega (en Irlanda) aun cuando su familia hubiera inmigrado muchas generaciones antes.

Por un lado pienso que este sentido de regreso a la patria es un resultado de unos patrones de familia y cultura muy sutiles y de que probablemente no somos conscientes, pero que nosotros reconoce en el lugar donde nuestros antepasados se criaron.

Tal vez, sí. Pero pienso que puede haber otra razón. Hay memorias sutiles pasadas por familias de una generación al siguiente. Pero no las memorias no son necesariamente en las historias reales que nos dijeron. Quizás sean en el modo en que vivían y sentían y en el modo de que nos enseñaran vivir y sentir.

Cuando nuestros antepasados abandonaron Asturias, dejaron una parte de ellos, un vacío que nunca podrían llenado no importa tan buena fuera la vida en su mundo nuevo. Dejaron a miembros de su familia, de sus amigos, de una cultura distinta, y de un paisaje específico. Trabajaron mucho en la nueva país, quedaron ocupados, y construyeron nuevas vidas. Pero todo esta actividad solamente enmascaró el vacío, un vacío que ellos nos pasaron, a sus niños y nietos.

Mi abuelo nos habría dicho que no dejó nada importante atrás en Asturias. No te lo creas.

Más tarde cuando volvemos a la patria de nuestros abuelos (un lugar de que la mayor parte de nosotros nunca conocían), parecemos que hemos vuelto a casa. En cierta medida, el hecho de ser allí llena el vacío o al menos promete llenar el vacío. Pero sospecho que este vacío es intrínsecamente insaciable. Quizás seamos una gente que llevará aquel vacío con nosotros en todas partes de nuestras vidas. Por cierto que lo pasará a nuestros niños y nietos.

Pero no es solamente los emigrantes que experimentan este vacío. Aquellos que quedan en Asturias también han perdido algo precioso e irreemplazable. No se asombra que la gente de Gijón sigue formalmente conmemorando y lamentando el éxodo de sus niños. Y no se asombra que tantos asturianos participan en este foro. Compartimos una pérdida común.

He dado este tema mucho pensamiento duranate los años recientes. Se nota, ¡¿no?!
Last edited by Art on Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
carol k
asturias_and_me:

the why of searching

Post by carol k »

Art ,

That makes so much sense to me. While in Asturias I noticed the way people carried themselves and their faces and most astonishing, thier hands! They were the hands of my grandfather and his brothers and sisters. Those hands and the way the thumb sat at the base of the hand and the large knuckles were all over. I cannot remember noticing peoples hands as much in other countries.

It also makes sense that some things were conveyed generation to generation without words. It might be just the tone and the facial expresion when they spoke of Spain, which was rare. I remember seeing my grandfather and his siblings talking with other Asturians. They came alive when they were together. They laughed and sang and were themselves. There was always teasing and all those nicknames - like a secret code! They were different outside the home and with other people. There was always a bit of reserve. They might laugh but not in the same way. There was also the sense of pride that we were from a special part of Spain. I did not learn the political and historical facts behind that until they were all deceased so I never actually talked about histoy or politics with the generation who knew. All those experiences and the nuances of what they said created a feeling that I am Asturian even though it is only a part of my heritage.

I know that my sense of the importance of thinking for one's self, of self government and my ingrained distrust for the central government and my commitment to the causes of working people came from this side of my family. All these things were conveyed without lectures or lessons but with snippets of unremembered conversations each leaving a small impression that became a cohesive world view for me.

Thank you also for telling me you have though about this for along time as well. It's good to know that this is not some romantic obsession but that there are experiences behind this need to connect with Asturias.

Regards,
Carol K.

PS
Is this wonderful conversation all been private because I am not clear when I wrote if my response is part of a thread or a private conversation. I am new this is post and thread stuff but I would love to hear if others share these thought. They are as interesting to me as sharing the photos and details of history and people in the forum.
CK

---------------------
Traducido por Leto

Art,

Lo que dices tiene mucho sentido para mí. Mientras estuve en Asturias noté cómo la gente camina, las caras, la actitud, el gesto, y, lo más sorprendente, ¡las manos! Esas eran las manos de mi abuelo y sus hermanos y hermanas. Esas manos y la forma en que el pulgar se asienta en la base de la mano y los grandes nudillos, estaban por todas partes. No puedo recordar haber notado tanto las manos de la gente en otros países.

También tiene sentido se pasen de generación en generación sin palabras. Puede ser sólo el tono y la expresión de la cara cuando hablaban de España lo que era raro. Recuerdo ver a mi abuelo y a sus hermanos hablando con otros asturianos. Revivían cuando estaban juntos. Reían y cantaban y eran ellos mismos. Siempre de broma y todos esos motes; ¡como un código secreto! Eran diferentes fuera de la casa y con la gente. Había siempre un poco de reserva. Podían reír, pero nunca del mismo modo. También había un poco de sentimiento de orgullo porque éramos de un lugar especial de España. Yo no aprendí los hechos políticos e históricos que estaban detrás hasta que ellos murieron, así que nunca hablé sobre historia o política con la generación que sabía. Todas esas experiencias que los matices de lo que dijeron crearon un sentimiento de que soy asturiana, incluso cuando es sólo una parte de mi herencia.

Se que mi sentido de la importancia de pensar por uno mismo, de autogobierno y mi inculcada desconfianza por el gobierno central y mi compromiso con la causa de trabajar con gente vino de este lado de mi familia.
Todo esto fue transmitido sin charlas o lecciones, con retazos de conversaciones no recordadas que dejaban un pequeña huella que se convirtió en una forma coherente de ver mundo para mí.

Gracias por contarme que tú también has pensado sobre todo esto por algún tiempo. Está bien saber que esto no es una obsesión romántica, sino que hay experiencias detrás de esta necesidad de conexión con Asturias.

Un saludo
Carol K.

PD: ¿Esta maravillosa conversación está siendo privada? Porque no tengo claro si cuando escribo mi respuesta es parte de una respuesta encadenada o una conversación privada. Soy nueva en esto de usar foros, pero me gustaría saber si otros comparten estos sentimientos. Son interesantes para mí, igual que compartir las fotos y los detalles de la historia y la gente en el foro.
Art
Site Admin
asturias_and_me:

Post by Art »

Well, I'm not convinced this longing is a good thing!

Oh, yes, this conversation is very much public. In just a few days our words will appear in Google's indexes and be available to anyone anywhere.

--------------

¡Bueno, pues, no estoy seguro que esta añoranza sea bueno!

Claro que sí, este conversación es muy pública--no tenemos privacidad. Dentro de unos dias, nuestras palabras aparecerán en los indices de Google y serán a la disposición de quien quiera en cualquier sitio.
Terechu
asturias_and_me:

Post by Terechu »

Yes Carol, the conversation is public and I've been reading it all choked up inside.
The same thrill you experienced when touching the baptismal font in that old church where so many of your ancestors were baptized is what I experience when I pass the little chapel where generations of my father's family were christened and married. The same thrill when I go to my parents' grave, in that little graveyard where generations of my mother's family lie buried, and I sit there, looking over the busy Nalón valley beneath. Home is not just a place, it's a state of mind, and that state of mind you get when you remember those who loved you and sheltered you in the carefree days of your childhood.
Well, we're getting a bit sentimental here... :oops:
----------------------------------------------------------------
Sí Carol, esta conversación es pública y yo desde luego la he estado leyendo con un nudo en la garganta.
La misma emoción que tú sentiste cuando tocaste por primera vez la pila de bautismo de la vieja iglesia donde tantos antepasados tuyos se bautizaron, la siento yo cuando veo la pequeña capilla rural donde se bautizaron y casaron generaciones de antepasados de mi padre. La misma que siento cuando voy al cementerio a la tumba de mis padres y me siento allí, mirando el ajetreo del valle del Nalón al fondo. La patria no es sólo un lugar, es un estado de ánimo, y ese estado de ánimo lo encuentras cuando recuerdas a todos los que te amaron y te protegieron en los días despreocupados de la infancia.
Bueno, nos estamos poniendo sentimentales... :oops:

Bienvenida al foro!
Terechu
DPuente
asturias_and_me:

Post by DPuente »

Carol,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for all your memories of both Donora and the trips to Asturias. As you probably saw when you checked the forum, I have a Donora connection too, including some relatives named Garcia, so I read them with interest. I think my grandparents came over about the time of your great-grandfather, and they may have taken similar routes. I had uncles born in Spain, but others in St. Louis, and my mother in Depue, Illinois. All had zinc mills.

You also got Art, and then you in reply, to wax eloquent about why we all got into this roots stuff. Beautiful thoughts, thanks to both of you.

DPuente

traducion:
Bienvenida a la forum y gracias por los recuerdos de Donora y los viajes a Asturias. Como probablemente has leido aqui, tengo una connecion con Donora, inclusive con parientes de nombre Garcia, por esso lei' con mucho interes lo que escribiste. Parece que mis abuelos llegaron en America en el mismo periodo que to bisabuelo, y posiblemente hicieron una ruta semejante. Tenia tio nacidos in Espana, pero otros nacieron in St. Louis y mi madre a Illinois. Todos lugares con fabricas di cinc.

Tambien tus mensajes resultaron in algunas elequentes palabras de Art, y despues tu nuevamente, sobre el por que de nuestro interes' in los raizes asturianos. Gracias a los dos.

DPuente
carol k
asturias_and_me:

universal sentiments

Post by carol k »

Terechu,
A special thank you for all your contributions to the forum. The information in the forum is such a gift and one that can be shared woth my family.

Yes, the conversation is sentimental and your thoughts were much appreciated. I have been trying to look at these emotional feelings with some objectivity , if this is possible. Initially I believe we all appreciate the emotional aspect for what it is and how it adds meaning and texture to our life experience. At another level Iwondered whether these feeling have a universal character. This is an attempt at an untrained and very simplistic sociological examination of the these feelings and what human needs they meet or express. At another level I wonder whether there are some characteristics to the way these feeling are expressed or acted upon or passed through generations that are unique to Asturians.

There are comments and morsels of conversation under all the topics of the forum that contribute to a better understanding of the various ways one may examine these issues. Thank you again for your many contributions to the forum.
Carol k

---------------------
Traducido por Leto

Terechu,

Te agradezco especialmente todas tus contribuciones al foro. La información en el foro es un regalo y algo que puedo compartir con mi familia.

Si, la conversación es sentimental y tus ideas fueron muy apreciadas. He estado intentando mirar hacia estos sentimientos con algo de objetividad, si eso es posible. En principio creo que todos apreciamos el aspecto emocional por lo que es y cómo añade significado y textura a nuestra experiencia de la vida. En otro nivel, me preguntaba si estos sentimientos son de carácter universal. Esto es un intento inexperto y muy simple de examen sociológico sobre estos sentimientos y lo que las necesidades humanas comprenden o expresan. A otro nivel, me pregunto si hay algunas características en el modo en que esos sentimientos se expresan o representan o se transmiten a través de generaciones, que sean únicas a los Asturianos.

Hay comentarios y pedazos de conversaciones sobre todos los tópicos del foro que contribuyen a un mejor entendimiento de las diferentes formas en que uno debe examinar estas cuestiones. Gracias de nuevo por tus contribuciones al foro.
jomaguca
asturias_and_me:

Re: universal sentiments

Post by jomaguca »

Karol ,maravillosa historia la suya,cuando la leo se me ponen los pelos de punta, mi abuelo es nacido en Salinas ,y está enterrado en el cementerio de San Martín de Láspra, pués bien cuando mi abuelo tenía aproximadamente 16 ó 17 añosa los 18 años se tuvo qué ir a la guerra ,había mucha gente de San Martín qué marchó para America a trabajar y como le digo cuando llegaba el correo de América ,mi abuelo llevaba las cartas a la gente del pueblo porqué en las cartas los americanos como aquí les llamaban, siempre solían mandar dinero y mi abuelo por muy tarde qué fuera el llevaba la carta a las familias daba igual qué fueran las 10 ó las 11 de la noche ,nunca dejaba la carta para el día siguiente,porqué había mucha necesidad y eran tiempos difíciles.
----------------------------------------------------
Trad. Terechu

Carol, what a wonderful story. I got goose bumps when I read it. My grandfather was born in Salinas and lies buried in S. Martín de Laspra.
When my grandfather was 16, 17 or 18 he had to go to the War and many people from San Martín left for America to work there. Whenever the mail from America arrived, my grandfather would carry the letters from the "Americanos", as they called them in the village, immediately to their relatives. They usually sent money, so no matter how late the mail arrived, my grandfather never left a letter undelivered until the next day, even if it was 10 or 11 p.m., he would deliver it, because those were hard times and there was much want.
Xose
asturias_and_me:

Post by Xose »

And here's a funny thing: I feel that way about West Virginia as well. It's weird to think that most likely, I will never live there again (due to many factors, employment being the biggest), yet no matter where I reside, I always think of myself as a West Virginian. Maybe my daughter Sylvia's kids will go back to the mountains and get the weird sort of nostalgia we feel for Asturies.

It's strange the parallels between the two places (West Virginia and Asturies): mines, mountains, family, and memories.

---------------------
Traducido por Leto

Y esto sí que es gracioso: yo siento lo mismo también por Virginia Oeste. Es raro pensar que es posible que nunca viva allí de nuevo (por numerosas razones, siendo el trabajo la mayor); no importa dónde viva, me siento que pertenezco a Virginia Oeste. Quizás los hijos de mi hija Sylvia vuelvan a las montañas y perciban ese sentimiento extraño de nostalgia que nosotros sentimos por Asturias.

Es extraño los paralelismos entre dos lugares (Virginia Oeste y Asturias): minas, montañas, familia y recuerdos.
Art
Site Admin
asturias_and_me:

Post by Art »

...and the miserable economy. I wonder if bad times lead us deeper into nostalgia?

-----------

...y la economía mísera. Me pregunto si los tiempos malos nos hace llegar a la nostalgia?
Terechu
asturias_and_me:

Re: universal sentiments

Post by Terechu »

carol k wrote:Terechu,
A special thank you for all your contributions to the forum. The information in the forum is such a gift and one that can be shared woth my family.

Yes, the conversation is sentimental and your thoughts were much appreciated. I have been trying to look at these emotional feelings with some objectivity , if this is possible. Initially I believe we all appreciate the emotional aspect for what it is and how it adds meaning and texture to our life experience. At another level Iwondered whether these feeling have a universal character. This is an attempt at an untrained and very simplistic sociological examination of the these feelings and what human needs they meet or express. At another level I wonder whether there are some characteristics to the way these feeling are expressed or acted upon or passed through generations that are unique to Asturians.

There are comments and morsels of conversation under all the topics of the forum that contribute to a better understanding of the various ways one may examine these issues. Thank you again for your many contributions to the forum.
Carol k
Thanks, Carol. I believe the empathy and sympathy for the feelings of those we recognize as akin to us, those who we feel understand our own yearnings, is what makes us human. It is as if something inside us - maybe a subtle "training" throughout generations, as Art suggests - makes us feel like we're all distant relatives and allows us to be relaxed with eachother, because we know we will interpret eachother's signs correctly.

That doesn't mean that we don't argue and fuss obviously, but in a very laid-back fashion :wink:
------------------------------------------------------
Gracias Carol. Creo que la empatía y simpatía por los sentimientos de los que reconocemos como nuestros, aquéllos que vemos que comprenden nuestros propios anhelos, es lo que nos hace humanos. Es como si lleváramos algo dentro - quizás ese sutil "adiestramiento" durante generaciones que menciona Art - que hace que nos sentamos como parientes lejanos y nos permita relajarnos estando juntos, porque sabemos que vamos a interpretar bien los signos del otro.

Eso no quiere decir que no discutamos y nos peleemos, pero sin que llegue la sangre al río. :wink:
Terechu
asturias_and_me:

Post by Terechu »

Xose wrote:And here's a funny thing: I feel that way about West Virginia as well. It's weird to think that most likely, I will never live there again (due to many factors, employment being the biggest), yet no matter where I reside, I always think of myself as a West Virginian. Maybe my daughter Sylvia's kids will go back to the mountains and get the weird sort of nostalgia we feel for Asturies.

It's strange the parallels between the two places (West Virginia and Asturies): mines, mountains, family, and memories.
Funny you should say that. I've been thinking about starting a thread to compare the West Virginia and Asturias mining traditions, life styles and ultimately the shut down of the pits and the general exodus of the population.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Qué casualidad, yo estaba pensando en iniciar un tema de debate para comparar la minería de Virginia Occidental y Asturias, las tradiciones mineras, los estilos de vida y en última instancia el cierre de los pozos y el éxodo general de la población.

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”